There ain't no party like a Posh Hog party

Every great festival we've ever been to has had a hog roast. And Justock was no exception.

When I started planning my husband's 40th, I had no idea how brilliant the day would turn out, I just knew it had to include his favourite things. One of those things is a hog roast, and I took to Google to find someone who could make the date.

I spoke to several companies, but then I found Posh Hog Catering - you can find them here. I don't remember what it was that clinched the deal: the menu, described in mouth-watering detail on their website, or John, who couldn't have done more to help me in the lead up to the party, and on the day itself. Whatever, something clicked and karma played its hand when he confirmed he was free that day, and booked me in the diary then and there.

If you're going to spend the night dancing to the greatest (tribute) band ever, you're going to be hungry, so I went for the Platinum menu. Hog roast and all the trimmings; baked potatoes and all their trimmings too; fresh salads (and I mean fresh - John's wife arrived just before they served) and the greatest home-made apple pie and cream.

It's known that I don't just meet people, I adopt them, and John and his brother became family from the moment I met them, when they arrived to set-up. It's worth noting that, unlike some hog roasts, Posh Hog Catering cooks its pigs on site, so depending on the size of your porker, you'll need to factor access into the arrangements. It's also worth noting that your pig will never be left unattended, and that the team is self sufficient once they've been granted access to power.

I had to leave John and his brother to their own devices (they probably got set up quicker without me), and I didn't get to see them again until I arrived at the party myself, with my husband. I'm thrilled to say that the surprise party with our family and friends remained a surprise, and John was brilliant, communicating via email, or taking my calls when I was able to make them without listening ears around. Friends had parked off-site, to maintain an air of normality around the venue (AKA our friends' house), and the Posh Hog van had been moved out of eye-shot too, but they followed the scent of the hog roast (and some Heras fencing) like bees seeking nectar.

Guests were invited to eat as soon as the pork was carved, and served their food from constantly-refilled hot-trays. The pork was succulent, thick and tender slices served in soft rolls with the traditional accompaniments of apple sauce, stuffing and slabs of crisp and crunchy crackling. They say that the best tasting meat comes from happy animals, and so we deduce that this is where the "posh" bit in the business name comes from - pork that tastes this good comes from a pig who has spent his happy life living in luxury, every wish and whim fulfilled, eating Michelin-starred slops. He'll have been educated at Ludgrove (Berkshire) before attending the prestigious Oxford (Sandy and Black) university. He'll have been snout-deep in a straw bed, happy as a the pig in the proverb. It was fantastic.

People were able to return again and again (no one judged) and no one went hungry. The apple pie was the right combination of sweet and tart, encased in rich, sweet, shortcrust pastry, dusted with sugar and served warm with thick cream - heavenly.

Despite our combined best efforts, we were unable to eat everything, but John had brought containers into which he put the remaining meat for us to take home and the band were sent off back to Birmingham with enough food to feed them and the families they were going home to.

Posh Hog Catering provided everything we needed - we literally gave them a cup of tea and a plug socket - they brought everything with them including good quality disposable cutlery, crockery and serviettes (we went for disposable, but it's not the only option); the team didn't just clear away, they took their rubbish away too in strategically-placed bins the guests could use. They cleared away quickly and efficiently just as they set up earlier that day.

It's hard to resist the temptation of slow-roasted hog when every sense is pinging with anticipation (unless you're a vegetarian) but if you're lucky enough to attend an event where the catering is Posh Hog you really shouldn't try to resist - just give in to temptation and avoid the disappointment of missing out on a treat.

If you're not lucky enough to be a guest, find a good excuse to hold your own event and give John a call.

Thanks to the team for making Justock such a great evening.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Full rubber jacket

Mummy makes a point

Mummy goes back to school