It's a funny thing, friendship

When you're little, like Micro-RM, you fall in and out of friendships in the space of a playtime. At Mini-RM's age, allegiances are starting to form that are exclusive and excluding; feelings become intense and hearts are getting damaged - all a precursor to them being broken by mid-teens (or earlier these days, I'm writing from my point of view).

End of school days, and you're promising to stay in touch forever, only to lose touch within a year. People who were integral to your life are gone. They may have been in your life for a single summer, or throughout your schooling: there's no falling out, you merely drift apart and suddenly you've both moved on and are part of each others' lives no longer.

Someone once told me a true friend is someone you may not see for years, but with whom you pick back up as if you've never lost touch. That has happened to me twice, after an extended separation, and it's magical when they - the one who is so like you it's scary - finds you again, or vice versa.

It's true that some of my friends will remain my friends all my life, even if we're not regularly in touch. First they're much a part of me to forget them. Second, they know TOO MUCH!

"A friend may be waiting behind a stranger's face" is how the quote reads. And it's true. Friendships are waiting to be formed everywhere. There are good people in this world, and our lives are richer for them.

For the rest, those whose friendships are part of our lives for only a short time, remember they are part of what made you. Every friend you make influences who you are, so remember them fondly.

My friends know I love the works and words of Maya Angelou. It's impossible to better articulate my thoughts sometimes, and so I repeat them here, with love, for my friends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mummy makes a point

Full rubber jacket

43 Shades of Grey