Party Pressure

I want my children to remember their childhood fondly, and I want to make every day as special as I can.

Now, every family has its ups and downs (doesn't it?), but one day that should be like no other is a birthday. I'm too old to enjoy birthdays - one step closer to retirement is one step closer to death after all - but there's great excitement in our house as we approach micro-me's 5th and mini-me's 8th.

The first challenge is getting over the shock. Where has the time gone? Did I really make these incredible girls? Who the hell left me in charge of them? But to be fair, that's pretty much a daily inner convo for me, usually accompanied by Whose great idea was it to have children?

The second challenge is to set a theme. As a professional creative, I like to capture an idea and run with it. That is more pleasure than challenge - but persuading my children to settle on a single idea and not change it every second sentence is like nailing jelly to a wall. However, once I've achieved the improbable, planning may begin in earnest.

It would appear that most of the parents of the girls' friends were doing what we were doing at the same time, because it's birthday season. To avoid clashes, birthday invitations are sent out 6-8 weeks in advance. It won't be long before Save the Date cards are de rigueur in Year 3.

So venues must be booked - locality, space and parking are a must, with the added pressure of something original... I wouldn't want people to think I had copied. I learned last year that an "at home" is more kitsch than retro. My personal low point was hoovering the dining room table after a cup-cake decorating exercise. Just don't go there.

Deposits down, entertainment is next to be determined, anything to keep a mob of Other People's Children busy, particularly if it's a drop off/pick up party. Age-appropriate, non-discriminatory and preferably with soft-play at the same venue. Nothing time-specific in case of late comers, no injury potential and something parents can do when their smallies don't want to be left alone.

On to the invitations: I always do something handmade, so that I can pour my love into it. By invitation 6 I'm invariably wishing I'd done the sensible thing and used Vistaprint. After all, I'm the only one who ever keeps them.

Food - always a minefield - nut-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar-free... something for everyone or you'll spend the day walking around like an overworked porter with several personalised bags for Epipens. And don't spend a fortune on food either, no matter how middle class your party goers. I've done 12 of these now and mini sausages, party rings and triangle Marmite sandwiches always go down a storm (particularly with the parents... you can't beat party food!). Not for these little ones quails eggs and sun-blushed tomatoes.

RSVPs are a hassle. You've generally two camps of RSVP-er. The immediate or intermediate responder, or the elusive equivocator. This is where a list comes in handy, particularly if you're coordinating two parties at the same time, and there's a plethora of Julies or Henrys on the guest list.

Party bags are a must, and always ensure you have spares for the inevitable turn-ups or siblings. That way you won't have to hastily remove tags from bags intended for your own children to appear prepared and all-welcoming.

And finally, the cake. I'm a baker so my cakes are expected to be home made and super. No pressure. In order to ensure they are fresh, I can be found weeping quietly into a tea-towel around 3am the day of the party, trying to put the finishing touches to a 3 foot masterpiece that will suffer on its final journey to the event.

At some point in the process, I'm supposed to start enjoying myself. That's usually when it's all done, tidied away, children are in bed and I can sit down with a cuppa and persuade my husband to rub my feet.

Actually, the joy in my daughters' eyes makes every anxiety, late night and sore finger worth it. For everything else, there's a party planner near you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Full rubber jacket

Mummy makes a point

Mummy goes back to school