BFFs

When I was younger, I got on better with boys. I was at an all girls' school from the age of seven until I left post A-levels - a convent school at that (no smuttiness, please) - but the straight-forward say-it-as-it-is nature of boys appealed more than the cliquishness and bitching of my female peers. I wasn't a tart, I was an honourary lad, with the "gang" name of Keith (a passing reference to The Prodigy although I didn't have facial studs or a Mohican then, and I don't have them now).

As I got older, my circle changed and with the exception of my husband, my friends are all women. They don't have much in common except me, but they are amazing, a force majeure every one of them. Meet them...

The Old Timer
We've known each other for more than half our lives. We bonded over Crispbreads and Chaucer. Our lives have run similar courses, at more or less the same time, even when we've been out of touch. She's the one people think is my sister, although I don't think either of our mothers could have handled both of us. She just gets me. Although we're very similar, by which I mean freakishly attuned, we're also polar opposites in many ways. She's the mad one who will drive from one end of the country to the other to be there for me. And she has the biggest heart.

The Disney Princess
This wonderful lady is truly beautiful, inside and out. She sees the good in everyone and she always has something kind to say. She wears her heart on her sleeve and bathes you in love. She's utterly genuine and touches the heart of everyone she meets. Imagine the characteristics of Snow White - charming, gentle, sensitive and soft natured - the beauty of Belle - long hair, large eyes and sculpted figure - and a little of Anna's clumsiness. That's her.

The Comedian
My bump buddy is one of the funniest women I have ever met. Move over Sarah Millican, this lady doesn't need an audience to make you laugh, she is straight up and down hilarious. I rarely see her without a smile. She's quick, she's sharp, she's cutting and she should have her own show. She lights up a room with her cheer and I love being around her. Sure, she makes me feel old, but I never get tired of hearing her tell a story. She also has super fast growing hair.

The Scientist
I'm in awe of this particular lady's intelligence. She's the first one to admit she doesn't "get" humour, but she knows her stuff. Able to deliver factual conversation at a rapid rate, we can catch up in an ad-break, no matter how long since we've seen each other. She's crazy clever but not worldly wise and her innocence about the big bad world is just one thing that makes her so refreshing to be around. Not for her corporate politics or nasty nuances - life is black and white and no one will persuade her otherwise.

The Sassy One
My life changed forever when I met this lady. She's a delicious diva with sass from top to toe. She's funny, she's clever and she takes no shit. When she speaks, the world listens. She won't let you sit and sulk - you can moan but you've got to get moving. She delights in everything, she laughs a lot and she's the strong independent woman any role model should be. Phenomenally. She's phenomenal woman. That's her.

The Traveller
This special lady lives half a world away but is there whenever I need her. She's seen me through happy and crappy times. She won't suffer fools and she tells it as it is. She travelled seven time zones just to see me get married. If I need grounding, she'll do it. If I need promoting, she'll do that to. She's seen it, done it, and embroidered the scatter cushions. If I can be even half as amazing as she is, I'll be happy.

The Constant
She made me (with a bit of help from my dad!), she raised me, she supported me, she challenged me, she loved me. She's the one I aspire to, the one whose opinion matters most. Her disappointment crushes me, her happiness completes me. Where would a girl be without her mum? Lost, simply lost.

Friendship isn't about who you've known the longest: it's about who walked into your life saying "I'm here for you" and then proved it.

They say if a friendship lasts seven years it will last a lifetime. These ladies will be my friends forever, mostly because they know too much about me to let them live otherwise!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Full rubber jacket

Mummy makes a point

Mummy goes back to school