Morning mayhem

Things have changed since last year. I took the bold decision to stop being a slave to the mind numbing commute to the job of my dreams, mostly because it had become the job of my nightmares.

I remember fighting for my right to be a working mum after the babies were born, against opposition from some more traditional (read Victorian) family members. The result was I won, but only with a comprehensive and complicated care regime in place. And still the expectation to be a mum/wife/housekeeper when I wasn't working.

The mornings were the worst - I love my sleep. After years of sleeping with one ear open for the mini-mes, I rarely feel rested. I'm a monster, dragging myself around and barely coherent until I'm on my second cup of tea. Great role model, right?

The greatest liberation about working was the opportunity to have a wee in peace. Here I'm subjected to invasions of privacy so intense, I now leave the door open so I can be consulted at any point. It's a little embarrassing when we've got "men" in, mind.

I now spend most of my day in my pjs, at the keyboard, fueled by tea. And it works for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Full rubber jacket

Mummy makes a point

Mummy goes back to school